22.5.08

Hmmm..well...

I recently submitted a poem I wrote to a poetry association, I won't say the name. They let you know after a couple of weeks whether it's been accepted or not. I got and email saying it had been accepted and they wish to publish my poem in the next volume, to quote;

{As I also mentioned in my letter, and in celebration of the unique talent that you have displayed, we wish to publish your poem in what promises to be one of the most highly sought-after collections of poetry we have ever published. Immortal Verses* will be a classic, coffee-table quality hardbound volume printed on fine-milled paper specifically selected to last for generations. And best of all, this magnificent volume will showcase the poetry of Gypsy Noir on an entire page itself!}

Then I got an email saying my poem has been awarded our prestigious Editor's Choice Award because it displays an original perspective and unique creativity -- judged to be the qualities found most in exceptional poetry. Congratulations on your achievement!
Not only that but this-Every so often, as our Editors review the poems that have been presented our Editor's Choice Award, they personally select a few poems that they believe would have a wonderfully expressive quality if read by a professional reader. Your Editor has suggested that you become one of 33 poets whose artistry will be recorded professionally as a special part of a new CD poetry collection -- The Sound of Poetry.

Oh and I've been nominated as poet of the year!, to attened a convention in Las Vagas to read out my poem to the single largest gathering of poets in history from 50 nations, where I will be awarded with my very own international outstanding achievment in poetry crystal award, plus some antique bronze commemorative medallion, by none other than some would be celeb Tony Danza??...The over all winner gets $20,000,00

Now before anyone gets excited, can I just say that I think this whole thing is a con...To get you to buy the over priced book, to get you to buy the over priced CD, to get you to pay lots of dollars to go to the convention..I don't for one minute think my poem was 'that' good, infact I feel crippled with embarrassment at the thought of even thinking it was, that's why I haven't showed it to anyone I know..
I just had to get this rant off my chest..

12 Comments:

Blogger Anne-Marie said...

Hi Gypsy,
This is, unfortunately, a pretty common kind of con. There is a website I visit which deals with vanity presses and unscrupulous agents, etc... and what you're describing often happens to poets and short story writers. You "win" but have to buy the anthology to see yourself in print.

I'll bet your poem is quite fabs anyway, though.

xx
AM

22 May, 2008 02:25  
Blogger grace said...

In reading Anne Marie's comment, I had not heard to this type of con. It all does sound really fantastic. And give yourself some credit, I bet your poem was fantastic. Maybe we'll read someday.

xox

22 May, 2008 04:26  
Blogger gypsy noir said...

They say you're under no obligation to buy the products and ask your permission to publish your stuff, but obviously you would never know unless you buy it so it's a double edged sword!..

Imagine 'The Convention' full of people scratching their heads saying "WTF am I doing here?" lol..

22 May, 2008 08:46  
Blogger Cheryl Ann said...

WOW! You just took me from jumping up and down with joy to sorrow and then anger. I was just going to say "I can't believe someone would do such a thing" to "well, theres always some kind of angle".
Are you sure it's a con? I get a knot in my stomach just thinking about how you've felt about this whole thing. I bet your poem is really, really good and deserves the attention.
I'm sorry, my thoughts are a bit too scrambled to make sense - i'll be back and sort it out. Just know, i'm thinkin of ya and hoping for the best.
wuv&hugs
cher

22 May, 2008 13:03  
Blogger gypsy noir said...

Cheryl, sweety!, don't worry, I never took it seriously anyway, I think it's quite funny really :0)..

22 May, 2008 17:11  
Blogger Dale said...

LOL Gypsy!

A con? Of course not!

Indeed, just yesterday, I won an all expenses paid trip to The Caribbean! The captain even had my phone number and called me personally from his ship (complete with foghorn in the background) to congratulate me on my personal good fortune.

I'll bet your poem is of your particular brand of "unique talent". I'd be happy to have a coffee table classic of Gypsy Noir originals.

Maybe we'll cross paths, as you fly over while my cruise ship is anchored along the shores of Jamaica...

...and I didn't have to do any creative writing to win.



;) that's about as close i can get to a emoticon (or whatever they're called) with its tongue firmly planted in its cheek...

24 May, 2008 00:06  
Blogger Vallypee said...

Well, given the number of cons doing the rounds, why not fall for this one, Gypsy? At least you can have the satisfaction of knowing that your poem rated a response all that effort from them, and I would place a fairly huge bet that it was worth all the accolades it might have had in the book that you might have bought and the award that you might have won if you bought the book, took the trip.......etc.

Please, pretty please...can we read it??

I've told you before that you should get your writing in print. It's brilliant and so are you. xxx

24 May, 2008 20:32  
Blogger Vallypee said...

rated a response AND all that effort from them...

24 May, 2008 20:34  
Blogger Dale said...

yes pretty please with noir shampain and all that good stuff on top...please

24 May, 2008 23:26  
Blogger MargieCM said...

Tell you what Gypsy - post it "by invitation only", then invite us, (because you know we're too nice to pinch it and pass it off as our own), and we'll award you our own prize, which of course it will richly deserve, and WE'LL throw you a party! Can't promise the 20 grand though. Deal?

26 May, 2008 05:34  
Blogger Suesjoy said...

AW!!!!!!!!
Oh I was thrilled for you, but deep down I knew it was too good to be true (just because I am getting to "know" you- hee hee). Ok gettting a crystal award from TONY DANZA IN VEGAS???? HUH??? That REALLY gave it away!
(we all know the poet laureates the city o' sin churns out to the universe!!)

OH MAN!

hmph.

Have you submitted your masterpiece elsewhere???
I would love to read it.
I'm with Margie!
We will crown you as our very own poetry goddess.

xxxxx


PS tank yew for your sweet compliments on my bloggie!

05 June, 2008 13:13  
Blogger Suesjoy said...

I remember in high school, there was this book for Honor Roll students that you had to BUY called "Who's Who Among American Students."

I never bought one!

;)

05 June, 2008 13:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home